All handmade soap or cold process bars are made with Lye.
Soap is made by reacting fats and oils with lye. Lye is also known as caustic, caustic soda or sodium hydroxide. Tue soap is created through the saponification process with involves combining oils and fats with the lye. Made just like the old days. It needs to cure for 6-8 weeks, depending on the temperature and humidity.
What put me onto making soap is I kept coming up with bumps and inflammation on my skin. Itchy, scratchy and dry. Occasionally people say they don’t like so but i try to encourage them to try handmade natural soap. It is very different and when made handmade it is usually made with quality oils and ingredients, unlike some commercial soap.
Bar Soap can help with many skin problems, because it contains glycerin which is good for people with dermatological problems like eczema. It can even help people who just have dry skin. Try my Hawaiian Luxury Soap Bar, contains some gorgeous nut oils, coconut milk and coco butter.
Harmful Commercial Soap Ingredients
- Parabens: otherwise known as chemical preservatives, these harmful ingredients are found in majority of commercial soap and beauty products.
- Phthalates: known to cause cancer, this additive is often used as a ‘plasticizer’- a fancy word for an ingredient used to produce plastic.
- Petrochemicals: made from petroleum, these chemicals should be considered unsafe for humans because little is known about the longterm effects they have on our health.
- Synthetic Perfume: artificial perfume scents, although they smell nice, are linked to allergies and hormonal issues. As well, synthetic ingredients such as perfume are likely to cause skin conditions and to aggravate existing issues such as acne.
- Artificial Colouring: commercial soaps are packed with artificial dyes that have been known to cause health problems and illnesses in humans.
Healthy Natural Soap Ingredients
- Healthy Oils: despite common belief – oil is actually an important ingredient in soap, especially if you have oily or acne prone skin. Added oils like coconut oil, grapeseed oil or olive oil help to nourish and moisturize skin and bring it back to its natural PH levels.
- Essential Oils: scented natural soaps are usually created with an essential oil to produce a natural, harm-free odor.
- Honey, Aloe, Oatmeal etc.: natural soaps are made with organic, biodegradable ingredients that are harvested, produced, or sourced in a safe and conscious way. Unlike chemical ingredients, a consumer can easily understand what these ingredients are and how their body will react to them.
Handmade Soap just feels better. The oils, fats, butters maintains the vitamins and minerals and all the skin-loving qualities in the finished bar.